Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April 1st!

Since I don't know any fool worth quoting, I'm gonna celebrate April Fool's Day by quoting someone REALLY smart! The world seems inundated with fools, so on this special day, I want to contrast the foolish with the wise! I don't feel the need to put a fool side by side with someone wise because they are everywhere... You can just look around you! I also want to just continue my little trend of quoting smart people because it is fun! The smart person I have chosen for this occasion is C.S. Lewis (author of The Chronicles of Narnia.) When he was young , he was a staunch athiest but went on to become one of the greatest defenders of Christianity of the 20th century. He died in 1963. I have read many of his books. Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

"My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?"

"Looking for God -or Heaven- by exploring space is like reading or seeing all Shakespeare's plays in the hope that you will find Shakespeare as one of the characters."

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world."

If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning: just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never know it was dark. Dark would be without meaning."- C.S. Lewis

Oh yeah! One more smart person quote for this special day...

"The first of April is the day we remember what we are the other 364 days of the year!" -Mark Twain

No comments: